Joined: 14 Feb 06
What is the least disruptive way to upgrade a cpu during a sulphur cycle? Do I wait for it to complete or is there a way to suspend and carry on after the upgrade?
I am thinking of changing an AM64 3200 to an AMD64 X2 4200.
Of course if I do have to wait another 6 weeks it might be cheaper :)
Joined: 5 Aug 04
In that case, waiting might be doubly worth the delay!
I\'ve only upgraded one CPU, a couple years ago, P4 2.4 to 3.0. (Then running WinXP SP1 on the box.) No problems.
However comma that was long ago with same kind of CPU, only a difference in speed. Don\'t know what boinc will do with migrating from single to dual core.
Your Model might continue okay, but it might be on a \'different\' machine.
Being an old guy with a measure of cowardice, I\'d wait until the current Run uploads.
Edit: OT -- You made a great choice. I\'m a formerly dyed-in-the-wool Pentium user but now have three A64 X2 4400+ boxes. They\'re sweet machines!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo
Greetings from coastal Washington state, the scenic US Pacific Northwest.
Joined: 7 Aug 04
You should be able to upgrade without issue. Although anytime you change out a key component like CPU or new RAM, you may want to run stability tests such as Prime95 and memtest86+ for awhile to make sure everything is still good before going back to cpdn. Prices should continue to drop on the X2\'s, but particularly after the new socket, AM2, comes out in June. I\'m running an X2 4200+ over at the BBC site. All good so far.